Motorcycles are fun and thrilling, but it is always important to understand that it comes with a potential of an accident. According to the data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), many motorcycle riders are involved in accidents due to non-compliance with the law. When there is a motorcycle accident, the passenger and rider’s injuries can be severe. It’s rare for a motorcycle to get into an accident without the rider getting injured.
In the case of a motorcycle accident, your compensation from a negligent driver will depend on the motorcycle accident lawyer’s skills and experience you choose to represent you.
How can a motorcycle accident lawyer help you?
Since the laws surrounding motorcycle accidents are confusing, a competent lawyer should help you understand your rights. They should guide you through the personal injury law in your state. The attorney can work with the insurance firm and advise you whether to take a particular settlement or go on to trial.
Motorcycle accident laws and claims come with several complications, and hiring a good lawyer is essential. They can tell when an insurance firm’s offer is low and interpret the laws without misleading clients.
Good lawyers can present a case if the municipality is liable in the case of bad roads.
Things to consider before hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer
Always choose a lawyer located in your state. Hiring an out-of-state lawyer means he/she will refer your case to another lawyer who operates within your state. When you hire an attorney within your county or city, it means that you’re working with a professional who understands the procedures of the local court and knows the judges.
Most law firms and lawyers operate as general practitioners. They handle many cases in personal injury, real estate, estates and wills, and criminal defense. It would be wise if you choose a lawyer who is skilled and experienced in personal injury. An excellent way to know the practice of the lawyer is to ask questions regarding motorcycle law.
Experience and great reputation
When looking for a motorcycle accident attorney, finding a professional will give you the best results. Apart from asking them motorcycle-related questions, it is wise to conduct proper research online by reading online testimonials and reviews.
Don’t hesitate to compare several attorneys who meet these requirements. You can interview each lawyer. Come up with a list and schedule an appointment with each lawyer on that list. Remember to carry vital documents such as police reports, photographs of the accident scenes, medical reports, and more.
How do you locate a motorcycle accident lawyer?
Choosing a lawyer to represent you in your motorcycle accident case can be hectic because the lawyers’ number is vast. For instance, there are approximately 1.3 million attorneys in the United States. Use these pointers to help you in your search:
- Family and friends– There is a possibility that a person you know, either relative or a friend, can recommend a reasonable motorcycle accident attorney.
- Lawyer Referral:A lawyer you’ve used before, maybe in real estate, might not be able to represent you in the motorcycle accident case but can recommend a lawyer who does.
- The Internet:You can always rely on Google when looking for something. When you search “motorcycle accident lawyer, “it’ll present you with many options in your area.
- Bar Associations:Many local and state associations offer lawyer referral services.
- Lawyer Directories:You can use online lawyer directories to find a lawyer to represent you. They allow you to locate a local lawyer who understands law practice in your area. For instance, directories like Avvo and Martindale- Hubbell provide peer and client reviews of the lawyers.
In Conclusion, a good motorcycle accident lawyer plays a significant role in determining the settlement you get. Always ensure you’ve hired a competent lawyer.